If you are interested in obtaining a permit to attend Reed for academic year 2017-2018,
please email Assistant Principal Martin Segura .
If you are interested in attending Reed for academic year 2018-2019,
please read information below:
Greetings Prospective Parents!
Environmental Science Academy
Global Leadership Academy
Individualized Honors Program
Media Arts & Technology Academy
SLC Orientation for Prospective Parents
Wednesday, October 25, 2017
6 PM – 8 PM
Greetings Prospective Parents,
We hope you will be able to attend our Smaller Learning Communities (SLC) Orientation for Prospective Parents on Wednesday, October 25th. At this event we will distribute our Reed 2017-2018 SLC placement and IHP application materials.These materials are reviewed and updated every year, thank you for your patience in waiting for our review to be concluded! We have left last year’s information on the web page below, in case you would like to read about how our school is organized this year. Every year there are changes, as we find better ways to serve the needs of our Reed families, so please make sure you also receive a copy of our current materials at the Orientation or from this web page after October 25th.
Our primary concern is your individual child. We know the importance of matching the academic and social opportunities of our Smaller Learning Communities (SLC) with the needs and abilities of your child. Ensuring a good match that places your child in the appropriate learning environment is our primary goal.
We hope all prospective students and parents will have an opportunity to tour our school. Tours will be scheduled November 2017 through January 2018. Tour dates and the SLC Tour Sign-Up web forms will be posted to this page October 26, 2017.
Please feel free to contact us if you have any questions,
Kurtis Demski, SLC Coordinator
Debbie Vodhanel, SLC Assistant
SLC Tour Dates for November 2017 – January 2018
Parents who come to the SLC Orientation for Prospective Parents on Wednesday, October 25, 2017, will be able to sign up for an SLC school tour at that event. Tour dates still available after the Orientation will be posted to this web page on October 27th.
SLC Tours are held in the morning, beginning promptly at 9:15 AM, in front of the school auditorium. Each tour group visits classrooms in one SLC only, ending 10:30 AM after a Q & A session in the auditorium. You will be asked to select only one SLC to tour for each date. You may come back and tour as many SLCs as you would like. We encourage parents to bring their 5th grade students on the tour with them.
June 7, 2017
Note: Every year the SLC materials are updated and published to this web page in November. The information found below is applicable to the Smaller Learning Communities (SLC) at Reed for academic year 2017 -2018 only.
IHP Application materials and SLC Placement Request Forms for the 2018-2019 academic year will be published to this web page on November 1, 2017
Feeder Student SLC Placement 2016-2017
SLC Preference Form : For students who live within the Reed enrollment area ONLY. Feeder students who live within Reed’s enrollment area boundaries do NOT need an application, nor a permit, to attend Reed’s Smaller Learning Communities (SLC). These students are asked to complete and submit an SLC Preference Form before the deadline: January 27, 2017:
- Please first complete theaSLC Preference Web Form
- Download and print the SLC Preference “paper” request form (one page, front and back).
- Complete and return the SLC Preference “paper” request form (one page, front and back) between November 1st and January 27th. SLC Preference forms will be time-stamped as submitted and processed in the order received. Please submit in person or by U.S. Mail to: SLC Office, Room 103, Walter Reed Middle School. SLC Office is open every school day 8 AM – 2:30 PM.
SLC Honors Placement: Students who have been identified Gifted by LAUSD are placed in the honors class of the preferred SLC. This information will come directly to Reed from the LAUSD elementary school. Feeder Students requesting honors class placement who are not identified Gifted by LAUSD must submit the following documentation:
- last two years of report cards showing 3s and 4s in all academic subjects (English, math, science, and social studies)
- May 2016 California Assessment of Student Performance and Progress CAASPP (aka Smarter Balanced) test result “Exceeding Standards” in both math and English or the equivalent on a nationally normed achievement test (85% total English, 85% total math)
Note: This documentation may be submitted separately from the SLC Preference “paper” request form, but must be received by the SLC Office no later than January 27, 2017.
School for Advanced Studies (SAS) Permit for SLC Placement 2016-2017
Students who DO NOT live within Reed’s enrollment area boundaries but who qualify under the School for Advanced Studies (SAS) criteria may apply for an SAS Permit to attend Reed. SAS Permit Applications are made available through the LAUSD GATE Office.
The SAS student permit application is available to download on the GATE website at http://achieve.lausd.net/gate under GATE Program Options.
Once accepted, SAS permitted students will be asked to indicate their first choice SLC academy. The SAS permit is valid for all three years of attendance. SAS Applications will be available March/April 2017: http://achieve.lausd.net/gate under GATE Program Options.
All Applicants for the Individualized Honors Program 2016-2017
The IHP does not have a residency requirement. Highly Gifted identification by LAUSD is not necessary for admission. Students who have demonstrated academic achievement and ability to perform in a challenging, rigorous, and independent learning environment which compacts and/or accelerates learning by multiple grade levels are encouraged to apply. The IHP is designed for students who:
- are identified Highly Gifted by LAUSD or submit evidence to support possible future identification
- excel in and look for a rigorous academic environment requiring intellectual risk
- read and write well above grade level
- are self-motivated and work well independently
- demonstrate superior critical thinking skills and advanced logic and problem solving skills
- show intellectual curiosity and a thirst for knowledge
- have national percentile achievement test scores 97% – 99% in both English and math
The IHP permit is valid for all three years of attendance. We highly encourage IHP applicants to also complete an SLC Preference form (feeder students) or SAS Application (non-feeder students) in the event their application is not selected for the IHP.
The due date for IHP Applications is January 27, 2017.
How to apply:
- Complete the Intent to Submit IHP Application Web Form
- Download and print the IHP Application (one page, front and back) and the IHP Teacher Recommendation (one page, front and back). Please follow the directions carefully. If your child has a different teacher for math and English this year, you will need two Teacher Recommendation forms. Make sure ALL the required application materials are received by the SLC Office no later than Jan. 27, 2017.
- Take the mandatory IHP Assessment either Feb. 2nd, 2017, or Feb. 4, 2017.