SLC Tour Dates for November 2016 – January 2017
All SLC Tours begin 9:15 AM in front of the school auditorium
Wednesday November 2nd, 2016: click here to sign up
Wednesday November 16, 2016: click here to sign up
Wednesday December 7, 2016: click here to sign up
Wednesday January 18, 2017: click here to sign up
Wednesday January 25, 2017: click here to sign up
Greetings Prospective Parents!
Environmental Science Academy
Global Leadership Academy
Individualized Honors Program
Media Arts & Technology Academy
Greetings Prospective Parents,
As you proceed through our Smaller Learning Communities (SLC) enrollment and application materials, please remember that our primary concern is your individual child. We know the importance of matching the academic and social opportunities of our programs with the needs and abilities of your child. Ensuring a good match that places your child in the appropriate learning environment is our primary goal.
We hope all prospective students and parents will have an opportunity to tour our school (Please scroll down on this page for tour dates and the sign-up web forms). To find out more, you may download our (8 pages) SLC Brochure 2016-2017: slc-brochure-2016-2017-oct-24
Please feel free to contact us if you have any questions,
Kurtis Demski, SLC Coordinator
Debbie Vodhanel, SLC Assistant
Feeder Student SLC Placement
SLC Preference Form : For students who live within the Reed enrollment area ONLY. Feeder students who live within Reed’s enrollment area boundaries do NOT need an application, nor a permit, to attend Reed’s Smaller Learning Communities (SLC). These students are asked to complete and submit an SLC Preference Form before the deadline: January 27, 2017:
- Please first complete theaSLC Preference Web Form
- Download and print the SLC Preference “paper” request form (one page, front and back).
- Complete and return the SLC Preference “paper” request form (one page, front and back) between November 1st and January 27th. SLC Preference forms will be time-stamped as submitted and processed in the order received. Please submit in person or by U.S. Mail to: SLC Office, Room 103, Walter Reed Middle School. SLC Office is open every school day 8 AM – 2:30 PM.
SLC Honors Placement: Students who have been identified Gifted by LAUSD are placed in the honors class of the preferred SLC. This information will come directly to Reed from the LAUSD elementary school. Feeder Students requesting honors class placement who are not identified Gifted by LAUSD must submit the following documentation:
- last two years of report cards showing 3s and 4s in all academic subjects (English, math, science, and social studies)
- May 2016 California Assessment of Student Performance and Progress CAASPP (aka Smarter Balanced) test result “Exceeding Standards” in both math and English or the equivalent on a nationally normed achievement test (85% total English, 85% total math)
Note: This documentation may be submitted separately from the SLC Preference “paper” request form, but must be received by the SLC Office no later than January 27, 2017.
School for Advanced Studies (SAS) Permit for SLC Placement
Students who DO NOT live within Reed’s enrollment area boundaries but who qualify under the School for Advanced Studies (SAS) criteria may apply for an SAS Permit to attend Reed. SAS Permit Applications are made available through the LAUSD GATE Office.
The SAS student permit application is available to download on the GATE website at http://achieve.lausd.net/gate under GATE Program Options.
Once accepted, SAS permitted students will be asked to indicate their first choice SLC academy. The SAS permit is valid for all three years of attendance. SAS Applications will be available March/April 2017: http://achieve.lausd.net/gate under GATE Program Options.
All Applicants for the Individualized Honors Program
The IHP does not have a residency requirement. Highly Gifted identification by LAUSD is not necessary for admission. Students who have demonstrated academic achievement and ability to perform in a challenging, rigorous, and independent learning environment which compacts and/or accelerates learning by multiple grade levels are encouraged to apply. The IHP is designed for students who:
- are identified Highly Gifted by LAUSD or submit evidence to support possible future identification
- excel in and look for a rigorous academic environment requiring intellectual risk
- read and write well above grade level
- are self-motivated and work well independently
- demonstrate superior critical thinking skills and advanced logic and problem solving skills
- show intellectual curiosity and a thirst for knowledge
- have national percentile achievement test scores 97% – 99% in both English and math
The IHP permit is valid for all three years of attendance. We highly encourage IHP applicants to also complete an SLC Preference form (feeder students) or SAS Application (non-feeder students) in the event their application is not selected for the IHP.
The due date for IHP Applications is January 27, 2017.
How to apply:
- Complete the Intent to Submit IHP Application Web Form
- Download and print the IHP Application (one page, front and back) and the IHP Teacher Recommendation (one page, front and back). Please follow the directions carefully. If your child has a different teacher for math and English this year, you will need two Teacher Recommendation forms. Make sure ALL the required application materials are received by the SLC Office no later than Jan. 27, 2017.
- Take the mandatory IHP Assessment either Feb. 2nd, 2017, or Feb. 4, 2017.