Thinking of coming to Reed? Click here for information about Reed’s Smaller Learning Communities (SLC).
Walter Reed Middle School
Walter Reed Middle School is a traditional school and has an enrollment of over 1600 students in grades six, seven, and eight. Reed students were born in 37 different countries and 26 different states. Twenty different languages are spoken in their homes.
School Mission and Vision
Walter Reed Middle School’s vision is to provide its students with the ability to read, write and speak clearly; access information in a variety of ways, and become critical thinkers, by practicing problem solving in academic and societal situations. Walter Reed practices standards based instruction in order to help all students achieve mastery of the California State Standards in each content area. Reed’s mission is for its community of parents and staff to work together to make the students responsible citizens. This is exemplified by student involvement in their multi-cultural community and their ability to resolve interpersonal conflicts. Reed holds certain beliefs about its students. Among these beliefs are the following:
- All Walter Reed students can learn and improve academic and personal skills.
- Every student can be taught to take responsibility for his/her own learning, while the school, family and community are partners in the educational development of the child.
- Every student can contribute to the school community and society at large.
- Every student can learn to appreciate and respect others and their differences.
- Each student is a unique individual and is capable of reaching his/her potential.